Chicken Jalfrezi from Bon Apetit
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard oil
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 ½ oz frozen fava beans
- 1lb cooked chicken, chopped
- Fresh cilantro sprigs, to decorate
- Cooked rice, to serve (optional)
- Grind the cumin and coriander seeds in a mortar with a pestle, then reserve. Heat the mustard oil in a large, heavy bottom skillet over high heat for 1 minute, or until it begins to smoke. Add the vegetable oil, reduce the heat, and add the onion and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes, or until golden.
- Add the tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, turmeric, ground cumin and coriander seeds, chili powder, garam masala, and vinegar to the skillet. Stir the mixture until fragrant.
- Add the red bell pepper and fava beans and stir for an additional 2 minutes, or until the bell pepper is softened. Stir in the chicken, and season to taste with salt, then simmer gently for 6-8 minutes, until the chicken is heated through and the beans are tender. Transfer to warmed serving bowls, garnish with cilantro sprigs, and serve with cooked rice.